[Moto G XT1033] Turn your XT1033 (Dual SIM) into an XT1032 (Single SIM)

DJScopeDJScope Administrator
edited March 2014 in Mobile devices

Disclaimer:

• By turning your XT1033 into an XT1032 you will be unlocking your phone to be able to use most of the XT1032 compatible ROMs and Kernels from XDA Forum. 
  • This, in effect, will make it a single SIM phone, so you will not be able to use SIM2.
I'd like to thank CosmoDroid of XDA Forum for finding out this trick.

Prerequisites:

1. Your phone's boot loader must be unlocked for you to be able to use this mod.
    You must do this from the Motorola website directly. They will guide you through the process. Please read through all of what you need to know about the potential risks involved in unlocking it: Motorola Bootloader Unlock Website
  2. If you are not happy with potentially losing your warranty and/or damaging your device, then you should stop here and not go ahead. The risks are low but are present. In my opinion, the benefits to unlocking the bootloader and rooting your device overweight the cons every time. But that's arguable.

Instructions:

1. You need to download the Android 4.4.2 "Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB" ROM. This is the only ROM which has a baseband and radio which is compatible with the XT1033 hardware, but as said early, only works with SIM1.
  2. Once you downloaded the ROM you'll need to extract the contents to your computer.
  3. Download and extract the fastboot and adb tools into the same folder (if you have not setup Android SDK). Download
  4. Download the install batch file: RetailGB.bat and put it into the same folder (this file will automatically run all the appropriate fastboot commands to flash your phone). Download
  5. Boot your phone into "fastboot" mode by either holding the Power and Down volume keys together or using ADB with the code "adb reboot bootloader".
  6. Once in fastboot mode, check your device is active with the code "fastboot devices". You then need to run the RetailGB.bat file you've just create and wait for the process to finish.
  7. Once that is complete. All you need to do is restart your device by simply pressing the power button
  8. Congratulations! You've got yourself a makeshift XT1032.

NOTE:
If you ever want to go back to your original firmware, all you need to do is go back to this website http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 and chose the firmware that corresponds to you phone. Use the same "RetailGB.bat" file you've created to flash it.

Happy Flashing!

| Draftsman @ Smoke Control Australia | Moderator @ TechnoFAQ |

Comments

• sunitknandisunitknandi Administrator
    Hey @DJScope! Your thread has been featured on the homepage. :)
    | Sunit Kumar Nandi | Team leader @ Techno FAQ | Follow me on my blog, Facebook and Twitter |
  • DJScopeDJScope Administrator
    edited March 2014
    UPDATE:

The guide has been updated to include Android SDK tools in bullet point 3. This is for people who do not install and setup Android SDK.
  • PadmanabhanPadmanabhan Member
    edited March 2014
    Where I need to extract the ROM? Is it inside Platform tools folder? And is also is this guide works for Xt1033 indian version?
    Padmanabhan wrote:
    Where I need to extract the ROM? Is it inside Platform tools folder? And is also is this guide works for Xt1033 indian version?

You can extract the ROM anywhere you want on you PC, as long the SDK tools and and ROM files are together in the same folder.

This method should work on all XT1033 variants.

XT1033 Single Sim Mod Stock w/ Faux kernel.

Update:

I have simplified the procedure by adding a download link to the RetailGB.bat file I've already prepared.
  •  http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
    ^This link you provided does not contain the frimware of the Indian version of Moto G 

171.44.31.falcon_umtsds.AsiaRetail.en.03

the one present there is the Retail.Taiwan version for android 4.3

Can you provide any enlightenment on this?? 
    ^:)^
    Swaps100050 wrote:
     http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
    ^This link you provided does not contain the frimware of the Indian version of Moto G 

171.44.31.falcon_umtsds.AsiaRetail.en.03
    the one present there is the Retail.Taiwan version for android 4.3

Can you provide any enlightenment on this??  ^:)^

There is no such thing as a Indian version. You guys use the AsiaRetail.end.03 variant. So do we in Australia.

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.

• HeavyFAHeavyFA Member
    Hey, I tried this and it worked perfectly, but when I flashed a couple of xt1032 compatible roms(slimkat 4.4.2 and Carbod 4.4.2), I received the same issues as they were reported with the xt1033.

I decided to use the stock rom itself, and wanted to go back to my xt1033 Asia retail rom. 

But when I followed the instructions to re-do the process you have described here, and go back to my stock rom, the phone got stuck at the bootloader unlocker warning screen. I had to flash back to this retail version that you have described. How do I get my original firmware for 1033 back?

I would also like to point out that mobile data does not work iafter this 1032 flash process
  • I also tried this. My mobile data is also not working. Rechecked my APN settings and rebooted but still not working. Any ideas on how to fix mobile data?
    Hey, I tried this and it worked perfectly, but when I flashed a couple of xt1032 compatible roms(slimkat 4.4.2 and Carbod 4.4.2), I received the same issues as they were reported with the xt1033.

I decided to use the stock rom itself, and wanted to go back to my xt1033 Asia retail rom. 

But when I followed the instructions to re-do the process you have described here, and go back to my stock rom, the phone got stuck at the bootloader unlocker warning screen. I had to flash back to this retail version that you have described. How do I get my original firmware for 1033 back?

I would also like to point out that mobile data does not work iafter this 1032 flash process
    I also tried this. My mobile data is also not working. Rechecked my APN settings and rebooted but still not working. Any ideas on how to fix mobile data?

You guys need to make sure that you don't flash basebands over the top of the GB one. 
    Also, you can never be sure what is over written when installing custom ROMs so some might not work as expected with this method. Most CM11 based ROMs should already be XT1033 supported, so this method should not be needed.
    In terms on mobile data not working, I could not help you with that as it is the first time Im hearing this issue. I've been using this ROM for about half a year now without issues.
  • Hi, you said "This is the only ROM which has a baseband and radio which is compatible with the XT1033 hardware". If the firmware thinks it is XT1032 and gets an update, let's say the next 4.4.4 update, will it behave properly? Actually I didn't use your guide but there was probably a factory bug and I received an XT1033 which thinks he is XT1032. It is "Blur_Version.174.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB" (notice the 1 instead of 9). Long story... Anyway do you think it will work properly with future updates?
  • sunitknandisunitknandi Administrator
    Is this procedure relevant now? I mean aren't ROMs available for dual-SIM variants as well?
    | Sunit Kumar Nandi | Team leader @ Techno FAQ | Follow me on my blog, Facebook and Twitter |
    Is this procedure relevant now? I mean aren't ROMs available for dual-SIM variants as well?
    Yes, and no. This is still the only way to turn your dual-SIM Moto G into a single-SIM Moto G. There are some XT1033 ROMs out there but nothing as stable as stock.