LG Nexus 5 overkill?

ManoharManohar Administrator
edited November 2013 in Mobile devices
Setting aside the whole, "Nexus", is the Nexus 5 supposed to be a Flagship? According to the specks , Snapdragon 800 chipset, Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, with 2GB RAM, it is a good smartphone. Talking about Android 4.4, according to Google, it's made to run super-smooth on older devices. Does this mean that the OS will not be able to take full advantage of the phone's hardware? What are your thoughts?
- Manohar M (Design and Graphics, TechnoFAQ)

Comments

• sunitknandisunitknandi Administrator
    edited November 2013
    Well, optimization usually means more processes can run more smoothly on the same hardware. Hopefully 4.4 will kill the lag evident on Android even on high end phones.

Regarding processor utilization? Well, point is processors under clock themselves at low load, so that's not an issue.

My only gripe is the max 32GB storage and no hope of expansion.

Sent from my NexusHD2 using Tapatalk

| Sunit Kumar Nandi | Team leader @ Techno FAQ | Follow me on my blog, Facebook and Twitter |
  • ManoharManohar Administrator
    Memory expansion has been an issue for Nexus devices for a long time. 
    Seems like most of the manufacturers are avoiding that feature completely. 
    HTC, Apple, LG, and many others... 
    Since the internal memory of the phones are getting large (Upto 64GB) I don't see a real use for microSD cards.
    And yes, the cost will go up along with the memory of the phone, but if the manufacturers decide to do it that way, what can we possibly do? 
    There are other alternatives like a wireless memory modules (although it could cost a fortune these days)
    The question is, in the future, do we need local storage? Cloud storage seems to pick up really fast in the past few years. And yes, it is not the mainstream yet. 
    Local storage isn't going anywhere but the ability to expand it is one of the feature that we miss. Just like we missed the call feature on most smartphones these days. ;)
    I'd prefer local storage over cloud storage any day. Because:

1. Battery life: you need energy to stream content
    2. Faster access: if there is congestion in the network, you are doomed
    3. Privacy: you will never like beaming everything to the cloud
    | Sunit Kumar Nandi | Team leader @ Techno FAQ | Follow me on my blog, Facebook and Twitter |
  • Until there is a change in battery life drastically , i'm talking like nokia 1100 battery life . Everything is a overkill.
    I agree with challa
    haha, True, battery life is kind of a bummer. But not all smartphones suck tho... The LG G2's 3,000 mAh battery lasted a record-setting 13 hours and 44 minutes. But , smartphones have long way ahead, they are at the infancy stage now. 
    I consider a Smartphone really Smart, when it has a bigger battery and "smarter" auto-correction.... ;)
    haha, True, battery life is kind of a bummer. But not all smartphones suck tho... The LG G2's 3,000 mAh battery lasted a record-setting 13 hours and 44 minutes. But , smartphones have long way ahead, they are at the infancy stage now. 
    I consider a Smartphone really Smart, when it has a bigger battery and "smarter" auto-correction.... ;)
    My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 lasts around 1 week with a full charge.
    The evolution of Google Nexus
    Evolution?
    It's a GIF, take a look
    Manohar wrote:
    It's a GIF, take a look

Oh yes, now I see. Its like a phone growing up. :P

Sorry, was viewing from Opera Mini back then so image wasn't changing.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

• Okay, just to mention a few things, Android lags because unlike Windows Phone or iOS, it doesn't run directly on the hardware. Instead, there is a middle layer. Those who are technically sound will call it Dalvik. It is a virtual machine in the ROM on top of which a version of Linux (known as Android) runs.

This is part of why it lags despite having access to that high end hardware. Google is seeking to change it with the Nexus 5. At least partly. They are going to hide a function (like they hide developer options) somewhere in the system which can allow you to change from Dalvik. I apologize for forgetting the name, but there is a different option. Google doesn't encourage it yet, most probably because most apps on the market weren't designed to run it. I'm not aware of any other reasons. 

Now, as far as screen sizes go, now there is no telling if the device in your hand is a tablet or a large phablet. Is it a phablet or a large phone? Everything is almost the same now. When it originally started, notebooks were 15-17", then smaller, 11-13" netbooks came along. Then apple introduced the iPad. 10". Nexus 10. Nexus 7. 7". Galaxy note. 5.7". Galaxy mega. 5.8".
    Wait. Did a phone just cross the size of a phablet? Yes. Are the phablets approaching tablet sizes? Yes. Are the tablets approaching netbook sizes? Yes. This is what the market seems to be believing. And this is bad. At least in my opinion. The bigger the screen, the more battery it will naturally use.

Exactly as it is in the GIF by @Manohar.

About the storage. I believe you need to put in local storage only what you need at all times. Everything else can be in the cloud. Or save that money on internet and invest it in a higher storage capacity phone. And then anyway spend some more on internet coz you need it.

About the UI, guys, I hope you know about the Google Experience Launcher. And their new code called .isLowRamDevice(); or something which you can use in your code to make your application smoother on slower phones. I guess this is what they implemented in their launcher as well. And as far as taking advantage of the hardware is concerned, it does take advantage of it, but there is only so much power it needs.
    Akshit Tripathi. Proud owner of a Nexus 4. Check out my details on about.me/akshit.tripathi
    I agree with @tripathiakshit 
    @tripathiakshit I do agree with you on the point of screen sizes. We do not need so many incremental sizes. Also I feel that a size should be specific. Calling a tablet a phone and stuff like that is just ridiculous.
  • I'm just waiting for Moto's Project Ara and its likes to take off, after that any of these other phones can do as they please.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm just waiting for Moto's Project Ara and its likes to take off, after that any of these other phones can do as they please.
    I secondeth thy thoughts. Project Ara finally sounds like consumers will get as much liberty in hardware as they do in software. Now of course the customization will not be as wildly possible as the vision of PhoneBloks, but it definitely takes a step closer.

The best part is that with the launch of Project Ara, OSs like Ubuntu Phone OS or Firefox OS get a chance at the market by introducing software which can make use of the dynamic hardware.
    Akshit Tripathi. Proud owner of a Nexus 4. Check out my details on about.me/akshit.tripathi
  • DJScopeDJScope Administrator

I also dislike cloud storage for that fact. But one major issue, which might not effect me per se, is the fact that you must use you mobile data for accessing/streaming media and this might become a huge problem for people who go over their limit.
    | Draftsman @ Smoke Control Australia | Moderator @ TechnoFAQ |

I also dislike cloud storage for that fact. But one major issue, which might not effect me per se, is the fact that you must use you mobile data for accessing/streaming media and this might become a huge problem for people who go over their limit.
    I was talking about content like, Movies, Music, Photos etc. Which are already taking the Cloud. Netflix - movies/TV, Pandora/Spotify/Soundcloud - Music, Flickr/Instagram/Google+ - Photos. Yes I understand it has its drawbacks as you've said, but in a few years, say 10 years, it'll be much cheaper. Way cheaper than today. And moreover there are public hotspots popping up everywhere. It is for the FUTURE. Today? Well, we have unlimited choices, 64GB microSD cards, heck even WiFi enabled portable HDD's/thumbdrives making one a moving media center. Coming to battery life, yes it sucks, and no one can change it until the manufacturers make a move. Privacy, yes, it IS an issue and it will be. But just think of it, you music tracks have privacy concerns? Your movies/Tv shows have privacy concerns? Well, your photos will, but, if they are safe on Facebook, and all other social media networks, then the cloud isn't a problem ;) . So, any comments? Anyone disagree with me? Please feel free to quote me. I'd love to see your take on this topic. 

I was talking about content like, Movies, Music, Photos etc. Which are already taking the Cloud. Netflix - movies/TV, Pandora/Spotify/Soundcloud - Music, Flickr/Instagram/Google+ - Photos. Yes I understand it has its drawbacks as you've said, but in a few years, say 10 years, it'll be much cheaper. Way cheaper than today. And moreover there are public hotspots popping up everywhere. It is for the FUTURE. Today? Well, we have unlimited choices, 64GB microSD cards, heck even WiFi enabled portable HDD's/thumbdrives making one a moving media center. Coming to battery life, yes it sucks, and no one can change it until the manufacturers make a move. Privacy, yes, it IS an issue and it will be. But just think of it, you music tracks have privacy concerns? Your movies/Tv shows have privacy concerns? Well, your photos will, but, if they are safe on Facebook, and all other social media networks, then the cloud isn't a problem ;) . So, any comments? Anyone disagree with me? Please feel free to quote me. I'd love to see your take on this topic. 
    Well, tell me one thing. I have a 24 Mbit internet connection. I have up to 500 GB combined on all the storage I have online. Then why do I carry flash drives and hard disks?
    Find the answer yourself.
    We are on the same page @sunitknandi
  • My White Nexus 5 will reach by Monaday..
    will make a review for TechnoFaq
    Souvik here..
    My White Nexus 5 will reach by Monaday..
    I'll be waiting for it. :)
    My White Nexus 5 will reach by Monaday..
    Awesome bud